Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Ahh, Lisp

Spending some time today working on my Lisp implementation while reading Common Lisp by Guy Steele in combination with Ansi Common Lisp by Paul Graham.  Been writing a website for a while that is Lisp-based and SQL-backed and it's a nice change to step out of Java and into Lisp, and then back into Java to write Lisp.

I've been putting the Lisp implementation off because all the other stuff (Android) takes so much longer to put together and I keep thinking it's going to be difficult to get back into and find the narrative thread, as it were.  But it's been a pleasant surprise to remember how stable the language is to build, how fast the features come together, and how easy and quick it is to debug.

My short-term goal is to get what's written into my calculator, so it becomes possible to program math functions in Lisp.  Then, I'll start extending the application into something even more fun and interesting.  Sometime soon-after the programmable calculator, I'm going to test my implementation of packages.  It's taken me forever to get to the place where I can start plugging that code in.  It's kind of intricate, but I think it has merit.

No comments:

Post a Comment