Thursday, March 17, 2016

Now with More Pinhead & Less Sleep

I've been revisiting this Lisp implementation that hatched last year.  It's still rough, but it's not so rough.  Moving it into a Java development environment is going to turn out to be a smart move.  Whoever came up with that idea and the brilliant idea to move it all to NetBeans?  They deserve a pat on the back, because code turnaround is significantly faster and the frustration level has vaporized.

I was brain-locked about what to do because I'd tried but failed miserably to move the code to Eclipse.  I know it was user-error, but Eclipse really helped a lot by tripping me up and pinning me down every time I tried to simply move the code in.  It's just a relief to be working at a faster clip and in a stable world.  Android is cool and all, but waiting for code to launch is agonizing.

It took a while to get my head back into the implementation, but now that I'm there, it's starting to feel good.  I've been putting the code in place for normal packages and adding parsing code to the reader.  It's been really fun considering how to put the editor on top of it along with some of the other useful utilities that come with Lisp, like documentation and trace and such.  One of my primary goals is to start working out the details of actually implementing my package idea.  I also have some conceptual ideas for some OOP-related modifications for method dispatch that will have to find their way into the mosh pit so they can either become something or be shelved.

For now, I'm cleaning up some redundancy and building a project plan with the initial goal being to implement the Java code that comprises the core of Lisp.  I'm pretty sure I have about 10 more functions to write to make that a reality.  Once there, it's Lisp and turtles and test-cases (300 so far) and bug fixes all the way down.  If I can add even a rudimentary editor that has tools that enable some quick text gyrations?  Maybe it'll all have some kind of probabilistic chance greater than 0.00000000001 to turn into a usable program for someone other than yours truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment