Thursday, March 24, 2016

Reader Update and Other Stuff

I reworked the reader code in my Lisp.  It's complete in that it's handling all the required cases for a commercial Lisp now.  I'm putting in the details for each case and building the test cases to ensure each type of Lisp symbol is parsed right.

Getting into the heart of the language is fun.  Understanding how it all fits together and why certain decisions were made and how things work is worth the frustration of learning.  Now that the reader is getting solidified, it'll give me a sense of how to modify eval, get the last core routines written in Java, and start thinking about the core Lisp code written in Lisp.

After that?  I've been looking at m-expressions, or the idea of m-expressions.  I think there's some kind of...something... that can live in between something and something else and make it easier to code Lisp in a way that expands the language.

One other thing I've been squeezing my brain over is R&D on an idea to build interfaces.  I think it's the first stable starting point to being constructing some of the concepts I've been kicking around over the years.  It looks like, as the idea grows, it'll be possible to start carving in the idea I've had for packages and an oop concept I was considering a long time ago while creating interfaces quickly. Some kind of interfaces. I never know how things are going to turn out, but this project is the most stable R&D I've done in a while, so I'm hopeful I won't paint myself into a corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment