Thursday, November 12, 2015

I'll Play My Mulligan Here

While looking at my latest experiment in linguistic gyrations (since I discovered Common Lisp in 1997, I find myself sandboxing ideas frequently) I found myself wondering if I was delusional for even spending time trying to alter the way packages and functions are interacted with.  Something there is drawing my attention, but it's vexing.

Because this morning I looked at it, and it's jarring and weird.  No other way to say it.  I'd post it here, but the idea has to live on the other side of this senseless screed.  It's supposed to be logic.  This is where I sort things out.  It's guaranteed to have a mildly manic frustration packed like air in a turbine all compressed before the explosion.  I'm sure it sounds stupid to be wondering what could be so troublesome about working with packages and functions.

Maybe it's not weird to wonder about.  Everybody knows all this programming crap is full of weird frustrations, lost time, and failure by people used to at least moderate scholastic success, if not significantly better.  A high failure rate associated with software delivery should be unacceptable.

This morning, I was stepping back to look at the coherence of the design and I bumped into something.  Turning around, I found that big, gentle monster CLOS standing behind me, waving sheepishly.

Oh.  Wow.  Forgot about the OOP stuff.

It turns out it fits, but it's weird.  New thoughts are like that.

If I can dredge up the alternative method dispatching thingie I put together about 10 years ago, I'll share that.  It's probably anticlimactic, but it might have some value, even if it's a "don't go down that road" lesson.  I'm pretty sure I was heading for that project to write about and share when this project grabbed me by the pant leg like a precocious puppy determined to drag somebody into play for as long as everybody is awake so we can play, then eat, and then sleep in the big pile until it's time to play again.  Kids are fun, no matter what the species.  We're all wired to learn when we play.

I suddenly feel like I'm writing a blog about nothing, but I'm pretty sure that's been done and way better than I can "Etch-A-Sketch" anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment