Friday, November 13, 2015

Solving Problems Is My Life...

It's weird that I think it's possible to alter the way packages work in Common Lisp. It's almost heretical. It's like suggesting everybody who had a hand in Common Lisp was on a three-day bender when they came up with something like defstruct. Or packages. And it's about time and they really need to be done right, because...I dunno, drugs? But that's the cool thing about the language. You can go rogue on whatever part of it you want.

Think you can do something different or better? Go ahead. Just be sure to remember the system is pretty tight and some smfers pored over a lot of detail to come up with workable solutions. It's possible, with reasonable statistical probability, that it's already been done. Or attempted. Best to ask first. I don't ask when I enjoy the explorations and this package stuff is fun. If it turns into something, I can add it to my Android Lisp and share it here.

I was feeling pretty sheepish when I thought of what I was trying to do as I read about the package system for the umpteenth time. Then I saw some statements that made me realize that if I could make a couple of things work different, it'd maybe be a contribution. Maybe. It'd be dialog-worthy at least. Hopefully.

I went back and read the package docs again. I think I can maybe make some changes that make sense. I'll just test it for a while and keep quiet until I have something of interest to report.

No comments:

Post a Comment